With spring comes warmer weather, gorgeous blooms, and outdoor fun. New on the horizon is Victoria-based DeeBee’s TeaPops™, a frozen, organic twist on popsicles, without the high levels of sugar and additives. Made with the purest ingredients possible, TeaPops™ contain only seven to nine grams of sugar and are low calorie—25 to 50 calories per pop.
[Berries ‘N’ Cherries sampler-sized TeaPop]
Two reasonably picky parents in search of satisfying their kids’ cravings are behind the creation of DeeBee’s TeaPops™. Husband and wife team Dr. Dionne Laslo-Baker, PhD and Dr. Stephen Baker, MD, created the organic frozen concoction to keep their own family’s health and eating habits in check. Their kids love the pops, and had a hand in their creation when one day, they brainstormed at home about combining tea and fruit into a frozen treat. “Hey Mom, let’s make tea-sicles!”
Dionne had a creative spark, and from that day on, she began working on the product’s realization. The pops are now available locally at Thrifty Foods, Choices Markets, Whole Foods, Stong’s Market, Meinhardt’s Fine Foods, and Buy-Low Foods. They’re also headed south to Whole Foods and other retail stores in the US. DeeBee’s are also certified organic, non-GMO, kosher, and vegan.
Last week, Choices Kitsilano hosted an official launch, featuring all five flavours:
– Berries ‘N’ Cherries: Organic, Fair Trade rooibos, packed with cherries, strawberries, and blueberries
– Southern Iced Tea: Freshly brewed black tea and lemon, lightly sweetened with honey
– Tropical Mango: Organic mango, pineapple, apples, and peach combined with freshly brewed rooibos herbal tea
– Minty Mint: Fresh and sweet at the same time, naturally non-caffeinated, and made with organic mint leaves, freshly brewed mint, and rooibos herbal tea
– Toasted Coconut: Coconut, vanilla, pineapple, and rooibos herbal tea
TeaPops™ are the ultimate treat: imagine combining a bowl of flavourful, ripe organic fruits with a heart-warming cup of organic tea. The treats contain antioxidant-rich tea, naturally non-caffeinated rooibos, and organic fruit.
Here’s a few things you may not know about the power of antioxidants, fruit, and tea:
– Organic fruit purées capture the full flavour and nutrition of whole fruit.
– Antioxidants help destroy compounds in the body known as free radicals, continuously absorbing, weakening, and neutralizing them.
– Increasing levels of antioxidants in the body promotes good health, aiding in preventing signs of aging.
– Organic tea is essential: non-organic tea is filled with pesticides.
My favourite flavour is Berries ’N’ Cherries. The cherries really pop out from the rest of the berry flavours. Minty Mint is very refreshing, while Toasted Coconut recalls a mild mocha flavour, perfect for someone like me who’s not wild about coconut.