If you’re headed to Curaçao and are looking for a really unique experience, we highly recommend a visit to Lionfish Caribbean, located in the recently-renovated neighbourhood of Kura Hulanda Village.

[Kura Hulanda Museum]

This charming section of Willemstad (Curaçao’s capital) is home to boutiques, a museum, cafés, restaurants and mural art, not too far from the famous Queen Emma Bridge.


Owner Lisette and her team have created a sustainable, environmentally-aware business that focuses on removing some of the invasive Lionfish population. They regularly dive the waters off the coast of Curaçao, spearing these brown and white-striped fish for both eating and for a line of eclectic jewellery made from dried Lionfish fins.


I learned about the organization a few years back and was excited to finally have the chance to visit in person and to meet the woman behind this incredible initiative.

Native to both Indo-Pacific and Red seas, Lionfish are invasive in Caribbean, Atlantic and Mediterranean waters. Due to a large appetite and no natural predators, they negatively impact reefs. As cannibals, they feed off of juvenile fish and diminish other fish populations.

In addition, Lionfish reproduce quickly (two million eggs versus sharks that lay 20 eggs!), so there’s little way to control overpopulation, which is why hunting them is vital to maintaining a proper sea life balance in the oceans.

[L to R: Fish and chips, Lionfish sampler]

We arrived at their boutique/café in time for lunch, and tried a couple of Lionfish dishes: Fish and chips and a Lionfish sampler.

The sampler contains kibbeling (tasty fried fish bites), ceviche, tartare and a dumpling, all made with Lionfish in their small back kitchen.

80% of the fish is used as material for jewellery and for the restaurant. The remaining 20% is divided between food for stray cats as well as food for crabs (an excellent recycling program!).


This spot is the only place in the world that you’ll find Lionfish on the menu (served Tuesday to Saturday, noon to 3 pm). Grab your chance to enjoy this delicious fish now, and be able to boast to your friends that you ate fresh Lionfish caught in local waters. It’s a great way to reduce this invasive population while getting a tasty lunch away from busy tourist areas.


You can also dive with their team on Lionfish expeditions (details online).

Find Lionfish Caribbean behind the Kura Hulanda Museum in the bright pink house in a pretty courtyard.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.