We recently caught wind of a cool event happening at Science World next week: Science of Cocktails!
TELUS World of Science will open its doors on Thursday evening, February 4, inviting guests to partake of Vancouver’s largest cocktail lab of the year. Mix, mingle and be merry at this unique fundraiser with all proceeds helping to fund Science World’s Class Field Trip Program.
An average class field trip to Science World at TELUS World of Science, including transportation to and from the facility, a workshop, an OMNIMAX film and a take-home activity, costs between $900 and $1,100 per class.
By purchasing a ticket, you’ll help bring thousands of students from under-served schools in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland to Science World for a unique hands-on experience — entirely free of charge.
Look for libations from our city’s best bartenders, together with gourmet bites from Railtown Catering. The evening kicks off at 7 pm for VIP guests and at 8 pm for general admission attendees.
Science of Cocktails Highlights
– Open bar with 25 different bar stations
– Cocktail demos and competitions throughout the evening; awards given by panel of industry judges
– Create your own wine glass charms with glow-in-the-dark and UV beads
– Shake cocktails using a machine made from a car motor and sewing machine parts
– Challenge your sense of smell to sniff out various aromatics used in gin infusions
– Watch cool experiments involving dry ice and liquid nitrogen
– Glassware volume deception via a martini glass illusion test
– Shake Competitions: How fast can you shake a cocktail? Compete with friends and fellow guests!
– Vote for your favourite cocktail — winning bartender will receive the People’s Choice Award
– Fill out and drop off your drink passport at the event for a chance to win a prize
– Watch your hair stand on end and objects get charged with the Van de Graaff generator
– Create a coaster using petri dishes, button batteries and LED lights, then learn how to create a circuit to light it up
You can enter to win some great prizes, from a Tesla Motors package (a Tesla for an evening!) to a weekend stay at the Fairmont Pacific Rim for two with breakfast at ORU (a $780 value) and more. There’s a lot of hands-on fun to be had, drinks to be sipped and great conversation with friends. Don’t miss out; tickets are moving fast!
Science of Cocktails at TELUS World of Science
Date: February 4, 7 pm to midnight
Venue: TELUS World of Science, 455 Quebec Street, Vancouver
Tickets: General, $145; VIP, $250; for group tickets 10+ phone 604.443.7500
General admission ticket holders gain access to the open bar, ample hors d’oeuvres throughout the evening with access to a variety of special cocktail science activities, demos and challenges.
VIP ticket holders gain early event entry (7 pm), valet parking, access to the Diageo Reserve World Class VIP Lounge, a selection of premium cocktail offerings, passed canapes service, exclusive event programming, VIP photo opportunity and a special thank you gift.
Cocktail photos by Christopher Guy. Class trip photos courtesy of Science World.