It started with a tweet.
That pretty much sums up the start of my blogging career. Just prior to the start of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, I engaged in a few private Twitter messages with the House of Switzerland — that exchange led to one door (followed by many more) opening for covering some of the most exciting moments during our city’s big party.
Once the Olympics rolled out of town, I still owned an independent design business, but more importantly, my passion was ignited to share my stories and photos with the world! I turned my design website into a blog and got in touch with the many contacts made during that fabulous Olympic experience (you can read about it here).
I’ve lived in three countries to date and have travelled to numerous others both as a solo traveller and with my Dutch husband (who I met while travelling in Petra, Jordan in 1996). I fell in love, left San Francisco and moved to The Netherlands, living my dream of exploring, working and travelling through Europe with my sweetheart.
After a winter trip to Vancouver in 2004, we were smitten, and started the emigration process, selling our home and saying goodbye to family and friends.
In summer 2014, I completed a copy editing certification program from Simon Fraser University’s downtown Vancouver campus. My graphic design degree has allowed me to work everywhere from small creative shops in San Francisco to big ad agencies in Amsterdam.
This site is my little corner to share travel, tech and lifestyle content (with a focus on Vancouver). I hope you’ll visit often.
Here’s some of what I’ve achieved since Vancouverscape’s inception:
LIVE BLOGGING/SPECIAL EVENTS
– 2011 Vancouver Opera Ninja: Live blogging/backstage peek into Roméo et Juliette
FEATURED EDITORIAL CONTENT
– Canadian Traveller – Halifax: A Paradise for Food and Craft Beer Lovers, July 2014
– Canadian Traveller – Halifax: A Real Atlantic Gem, July 2014
– Luxury Travel Magazine, Australia – Canadian Signature Experiences feature, Summer 2014
– BC Living – current contributor to BC-focused online magazine’s travel section
WEB AWARDS + NOMINATIONS
- 2014 Social Media Awards: Winner, Best Personal Blog
– 2014 MiB Awards: Nominee in two categories: Arts & Entertainment, Lifestyle
– 2014, 2012 Canadian Weblog Awards: Arts and Culture
- 2014, 2012 Canadian Weblog Awards: Best Placeblog (local coverage specific to a city)
– 2013 MiB Awards: Top 10 Finalist, Wine and Spirits
- 2013 Social Media Awards: Finalist, Best Personal Blog
– 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012: Rare Disease Foundation’s Rare Finds Gala
– 2014: Second Annual Whistler Village Beer Festival
– 2013: Taste of Yaletown
– 2013, 2011: RIPE, Vancouver Farmers’ Markets Celebration Dinner