For 15 years, the Healthy Chef Competition has challenged groups of BC-based culinary schools, hotels, and restaurants to gather their fruits, herbs, and vegetables, square off against one another and create fantastic plates where the produce is the star.
Judged by a panel of certified BCCA chefs, the properties will vie for awards in a variety of categories including Best Entrée, People’s Choice, and the Healthy Plate Award in this year’s 16th annual competition being held on March 25.
The event is open to both trade and public and returns this year to the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown Vancouver.
At your table, find a sealed mystery envelope pointing you to the property whose food you will enjoy, in addition to music, light entertainment, a silent and live auction and the awards ceremony. This event is co-hosted by the BC Produce Marketing Association and the BC Chefs Association. The money raised from the auctions will benefit several local charities.
BCCA’s Chef Boban Kovachevich sums up the intense but friendly competition: “The team chef is like the conductor of an orchestra and everyone needs to do their part to make it a success – it feeds their souls.” With an estimated 500 guests attending, the pressure can be intense!
Hosted by CTV’s Marke Driesschen, the evening will continue with music, light entertainment, silent and live auctions culminating with the awards ceremony.
[Emcee Marke Driesschen of CTV Vancouver]
Participating restaurants will include:
– e.b.o Restaurant Delta Burnaby Hotel Conference Centre, Grand Villa Casino – Chef Keith Pears
– Vancouver Community College – Chef Colin Gill
– Art Institute of Vancouver – Chef Daniel Riviere
– River’s Edge Restaurant – Sandpiper Gold Course, Pretty Estates Resorts – Chef Jonathan Gee
– Burnaby Central High School Ace-It Program – Chef Stephen Wade
– Mosaic Grill/Grain Tasting Bar – Hyatt Regency Vancouver, Chef Jeff Szombaty
– The Wild Fig Restaurant – Sous Chef Sherwin Batac
– Tivoli’s Restaurant – Chef Cory White
– Torafuku – Chef Clement Chan
16th Annual Healthy Chef Competition
Date: March 25, 6:30 pm
Venue: Hyatt Regency Hotel, 655 Burrard Street, Vancouver
Tickets: $90.00 (price includes taxes); available via online form or by phoning 604.944.0179
Your ticket includes appetizers, dinner, entertainment and a swag bag full of healthy produce, coupons, and other fun surprises.
Hashtags: #foodiesYVR #BCPMA